Current COVID requirements affecting retail at the federal, state, and local levels
Federal Level: https://www.whitehouse.gov/covidplan/
- September 13, 2021: President Biden announced a vaccine mandate requiring ALL employers with 100+ employees in their organization to ensure their workers are vaccinated or tested weekly.
- OSHA Rulemaking in progress:https://www.osha.gov/coronavirus/safework
- Note: Washington state is not subject to OSHA’s rules. L&I is developing emergency rules based on Biden’s mandate independent of OSHA’s ETS development. However, L&I’s rules will be at least equivalent to or may go beyond the OSHA standard.
- Deadline for vaccination: No date set yet for private-sector employees as rulemaking is still in progress. All federal employees are required to be vaccinated by November 22, 2021, according to Executive Order 14043
- FAQs – To be determined in the rulemaking process
- When will rules be published, and what is the process for comments?
- Who is responsible for covering the cost of tests? Employees or employers?
- What are record-keeping requirements?
- Exemption process?
- Remedial measures for employers to take?
- Several top retailers plan to sell rapid tests at cost, with over 10,000 pharmacies offering free testing.
State Level: https://coronavirus.wa.gov/
- Washington Ready Plan as of June 30, 2021
- COVID-19 Reopening Guidance for Businesses and Workers as of June 30, 2021
- L&I Requirements as of August 23, 2021
- Current Mask Requirements as of August 31, 2021
- Current Vaccine Requirements as of August 21, 2021
- The proclamation requires all state employees, higher education, childcare, K-12 education employees, and most health and long-term care providers to be fully vaccinated with a recommended COVID-19 vaccine by October 18, 2021, as a condition of employment. Employers will need to verify the vaccination status of all employees. This does not apply to private-sector employers.
- Deadline for vaccination: October 18, 2021
- FAQs: https://www.governor.wa.gov/VaccineMandateFAQ
Local Level –
King County: https://kingcounty.gov/depts/health/covid-19.aspx
- Current guidance: https://kingcounty.gov/depts/health/covid-19/current-guidance.aspx
- Mask guidance: https://kingcounty.gov/depts/health/covid-19/current-guidance/masks.aspx
- Vaccine Verification Requirements & FAQs:https://kingcounty.gov/depts/health/covid-19/current-guidance/verify.aspx
- Proof of vaccination will be required in King County for everyone ages 12+ at indoor businesses, restaurants, and bars.
- Effective: October 25, 2021