Director of Safety and Education
Welcome! I administer a very robust safety and education program which offers support for Retail Services members and businesses in the following ways:
- We develop Safety Training tools – I secured grants to develop app based tools called SAFEME with 24 lessons that anyone can take and receive a certificate after passing quizzes. This certificate is especially helpful to those entering the workforce or for employers to train employees on workplace safety. SAFEME is now available in both English and Spanish.
- We promote Careers in Education – Washington Retail recognizes the importance of supporting retailers with a healthy pipeline of workforce. For this reason, I am tasked to introduce the NRF Foundation’s RISE Up, a retailer developed job training program to Washington state. Rick is working with Career and Technical Educator groups, workforce development entities, and connect them to retailers.
- Members are welcome to inquire opportunities for their employees to take RISE Up and/or offer interviews to RISE Up graduates.
- We offer Education and Training resources to members – Retail Services offer online training modules, a safety library and webinars to help members operationalize compliance requirements, business knowledge and policies that impact them.
- As the Director of Education and Safety, tell us what you are looking for and I will make sure you have the required information and materials.
I am a Certified Safety Management Practitioner (CSMP) and has been with the Association of Operations Management (APICS), Project Management Institute (PMI) and Society of Human Resource Management (SHRM) at various points of his career. I apply my more than 35 years of experience in the retail industry from both the corporate side and the store side to the advantage of members.